1. Ingredients: Our handmade soaps are created in small batches using high quality oils, butters, essential oils, fragrance oils, and skin-safe colorants. The result is a luxurious bar of soap that is gentle, moisturizing and richly scented.
2. Special ingredients: Many natural ingredients are added to handcrafted soap, chosen for their unique properties. Milks, herbs, honey, clays, silk fibers and oatmeal are just a few examples of special ingredients used in handmade natural soap.
3. Natural glycerin: Glycerin is a humectant, which means it attracts and retains moisture on your skin. It is a natural by-product of the soap making process. Most commercial soap manufacturers remove the glycerin for use in pharmaceuticals, foods, cosmetics, and other products. The glycerin remains in handmade soap and acts as a moisturizing agent. The end result is a mild, pure soap that gently cleanses your skin without being harsh, irritating or drying.
4. Superfatting: Soap making, or saponification, is the result of combining a precise amount fat with a precise amount of lye. When a little extra fat is used in the formula, a portion of the oils are not saponified. This is called "superfatting" and results in "free oil' in the soap, making it more moisturizing.
5. No Detergents: Commercial soaps often contain petroleum based cleansers that strip your skin, as well as chemical additives, foaming agents, and preservatives.
6. Long lasting: Handmade soaps are cured for a month or more to allow the water to evaporate, leaving a hard, long-lasting bar.
7. Environmental benefit: When you use handmade decorative soaps, there is no plastic bottle to dispose of and no chemicals going down the drain.
8. Love: Natural homemade soaps are made in small batches by a local artist in Connecticut with creativity and conscious intention.